Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Disappointing Jazz Hands

Over the weekend I went out on one of my every so often jazz nights where we went to see some fun jazz.  Last time we were at the Ark and it was like a UM student showcase so it was a real mixed bag, but it was fine because I'd never been there and also they're students doing their thing.  They all seemed really young, with means I'm getting too old.  We've also gone a few times to the Blue Llama jazz club in Ann Arbor.  This week was another visit to the Llama, and we really picked the show because it was the day that we could all make it.  Sadly, Heather had to back out at the last minute, but Jeff and I still got to go.

The quartet itself was, ok, but they had the vibe of maybe they also play weddings?  The lead guy also decided to sing a lot.  I think the highlight was when we couldn't contain our giggles because he decided to sing Nature Boy and it was mostly not a problem but he got to the end and got really close to the mic and aggressively whispered "NATUREBOY!" which of course is comic gold.  I got one drink called a Brambler, which was a delicious mixture of gin, lemon, and blackberry with a bunch of pebble ice.  I'd get it again.  Overall, it was fun enough (really I'm in it for the company not the show), but by far the least impressive performance that we have gone to so far.  I guess better luck next time.

No comments: