Sunday, January 13, 2019

An Unexpected Experience

A while back Sal got tickets to to go see Daniel Tiger Life: King for a Day with her grandma, but unfortunately there were some conflicts and so instead of going with grandma and her cousin, she got to go with her mom and I instead. I have to say going into this I thought it may be the seventh layer of hell to go to an auditorium full of little kids and watch a live version of a television show. When we arrived and walked around the corner to see the theatre, and the line that stretched halfway down the street waiting to get in (five minutes before show time, mind you), I was sure this was going to be the worst. I have never been to a show like this before, so I guess it technically counts as my first new experience of the year. I turns out it wasn't as bad as you would expect.

They did a real nice thing at the beginning where they "got the wiggles" out of everyone so they could sit quietly during the show. The show itself was pretty much just an episode of Daniel Tiger, but nothing that was new. I think that might be a bit disappointing because if it were something new then perhaps it would be help keep their attention longer because it was all new. They also decided that in the one hour show they needed to have an intermission after 30 minutes, and then the intermission lasted for 30 minutes. Sal decided that about 10 minutes before the end that she was too hungry and she just wanted to go have some dinner. I wasn't sad about leaving early before the mass of people started to try and get out of there, and then the million years it would take to get out of the parking structure.

While it really wasn't on the top of my to do list of things that I wanted to do, I really wanted to make sure I'd be able to go and spend time with the family. Sal was really excited about the idea of me coming too. Before we left she told me, "I want to sit between you and mommy!' It was really worth it to see how excited she was to do this. Before the show started she was bouncing in her seat and was basically vibrating with joy and said "I"M SO EXCITED FOR THIS TO START!"  She sat and watched very excited throughout he entire first part, and then looked at me during intermission and said, "daddy do you think maybe we could get some popcorn?" It was really just a great experience, and I'm so happy that I got to go. I also realize that Sal is getting to the point that this may be some of the first memories that really stick with her. I'm really glad we got to have these experiences to start building the memories that last.

Picture(s) of the Day: 
Picture 13
Just a quick picture from today's Daniel Tiger Live. She obviously was having a terrible time.

No comments: